Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Family

First off, Jade does have her second tooth in. I took her downstairs and checked after I last blogged, and sure enough it was through.

I have added two family pages to my links. There is a link to Tyler's Aunt and Uncle's page. Laurie and Damien are the proud parents of many children and live in Calgary. I have also linked to my brother and sister-in-law's page. Maria and Kris are the proud parents of one gorgeous little girl, Annika.

I've met Maria once, and that was at my wedding. A little odd, I know. But not as odd as people telling me last year that Kris and I are related in some weird way. I didn't think being brother and sister was being related in a weird way, but okay. I worked in a fairly tight community of a school, where Maria's sister's then fiance worked (and Maria's sister had worked as well). When I found out, the students thought it was rather strange that I didn't know them from before.

Well, it is and it isn't. I really don't like that I don't see my brother or his wife, and it really bothers me I have yet to meet his daughter. I don't know how they feel, as we don't even talk. (Although we have now officially posted on each other's blogs!) I wanted to go to Annika's Christening on Kris's birthday (still remember it every year). But, there's a problem. I have seen his mother once since our parents separated back in the summer after grade 2. I'm a fairly strong person as a result of what occurred in the years prior to their separation. I saw her four years ago at American Thanksgiving. My dad and I were visiting my sister (Kris's sister by birth), and I thought he might want to see Kris so I wasn't getting the hint we should be taking off. Kris walked through the door. His grandparents walked through the door, I still recognized them. And this other woman walked through the door. It took me a minute to figure out she wasn't an aunt I didn't remember. There was nothing in my mind that had prepared me to see her, and I just never thought I would be crossing paths with her. My dad said he saw the instant I recognized her and immediately shooed me out the door without any words passing between anyone, and took me home. I shook uncontrollably for at least three hours. It's not something I want my children to see me do.

Anyways. In my mind, Kris and his sister Holly have remained my brother and sister, and always will, even if my father hadn't adopted them, which he did. Four children in a house for something like five years makes bonds for life, even if they're only the memories in my head. My deceased stepfather's children are still my brother and sisters, even though they were not adopted by my mother. I loved having 9 brothers and sisters, and now I have 11 with my mother's most recent marriage.

There was no way I was having only one child. Brothers and sisters are too important to me, even if we don't talk or see each other often. Lives are busy, I know, it sucks sometimes. But I love all of them and didn't want my children to not know a little bit of how great it is to grow up with at least one sibling.

Ah, the random thought spewing that can occur when one is tired and avoiding job-hunting.

Take care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home