Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Do I look like a bird to you?

I was picking up Quentin from daycare and had already put Jade into the car. Quentin is doing his usual thing of playing with the rocks while I was busy. As I turn to get him, he says "Look, I was saying hi to the bird!" Sure enough, in the little bush by the door is a bird. A teenage Stellar Jay. Moptop fuzzy feathers on his head, short little wings, looking almost grown up, but still not quite an adult. Cute little guy. Okay, I say hi too, and tell Quentin that it's rather neat to see a bird like that (only a couple feet away from him.)

As I turn to bring Quentin to the car, the bird hops out of the bush and opens his beak up wide asking for food from me. "Sorry little bird, I don't have any food for you." And I put Quentin in the car. I come around again, and the bird has hopped behind my car, following me. I don't want to run it over, so I try to shoo it over to where we first saw it. No chance. It goes under my car. It keeps asking me for food. It follows me as I try to put Quentin's stuff in the car. It tries to hop up on the car door. Basically, it won't leave me alone.

Okay, I knock on the door and ask Nahid for a box and to call the SPCA. She won't because she won't leave the one child she's taking care of still alone. Okay, good, but you can carry him with you to grab a phone book, can't you? Apparently not. Even though I know she's had people she shouldn't in the daycare area (family members), and a few other things. Whatever. But, she does call her neighbour to come over with a box (she only had an open tissue box). In the meantime, the bird hops onto my foot to ask me for food again.

I don't think I look like a mommy bird, but it wanted to be on my foot. I think this is actually good because I can carry it out of the way of my car. No such luck...as soon as I got it almost off the driveway, it hopped off my foot and went back to my car. The neighbour teenage boy comes over with a shoe box. I've trapped it under the recycling box because it's all I can find around me. I really didn't want to drive over this little guy. Obviously the bird didn't want to go in the box, and hopped on my foot to ask for food again. We finally got the bird in the box, and I asked the boy to call the SPCA for me.

Hopefully they send someone soon, as that little bird sure was hungry, and I know that I wouldn't want to be stuck in a shoebox for long. I didn't take him with me in case they could find the nest nearby, that was in Coquitlam, and I live in Burnaby, and well, I don't think my cockatiel really wants a baby Stellar Jay for a companion.

Strangeness.

Take care.

2 Comments:

At 5/11/2006 10:55 AM, Blogger the author said...

That is a very odd story about a bird. Usually only tame or trained animals will act like that. We used to have chickadees and squirrels that would eat out of hands. My uncle even got in the paper for it. I would like to suggest that it was some kind of good luck. Maybe the bird was holding you up for a reason.

I'm having one of my few and highly limited spiritual kind of days and I was thinking maybe someone sent you that bird to help you avoid something. Just a thought... :)

So it looks like I will be in Vancouver for a couple extra days. Mind of me and Paula swing by for a visit? I think we are planning to go to IKEA on Thursday May 25 in the morning and then we could come by your place after. Let me know if that will work for your schedule. We could likely also swing the afternoon as well. I just have to be downtown for the early evening as I'm flying over to the island.

 
At 5/11/2006 4:00 PM, Blogger The Jaded Bee said...

I forgot to look at it like that. Normally I do, but I guess having two children to worry about distracted me from that. I was just concerned about running the little guy over and wanted him to be safe. Then, of course, I've been second-guessing my actions ever since. I know you're supposed to leave baby birds alone...but I didn't know what to do when a baby bird wouldn't leave me alone. And, leaving it there, the SPCA could have just told them to open the box and let it get back to what it was doing. So, I can't kick myself too much.

Forgot about the spiritual side of it. Silly me.

YES! Stop by. That's not a problem, in fact, it's even encouraged.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home