Friday, May 05, 2006

I'm a good teacher, really I am!

So, another interview tomorrow. This time in Tsawwassen. It's not one I really want because of the commute, but I do need to work so that we get to keep our house.

Last week I had an interview at Crofton House. It's an all girls school, so it would be different, I'd be teaching university prep so it would be great experience. I thought the interview went quite well and was told they'd be making their decision by mid-May and if I found myself in a position where I needed to make a decision before they'd made theirs, to give them a call. All good, so thought I. Then I noticed that they posted the job again today. Okay, it's the same posting they had before and it has other positions on it too, but...yeah. I have a very bruised ego where it comes to jobs.

It didn't work out at the Catholic School. No big surprise as I'm not Catholic, but it still hurt. Okay, it might have if we hadn't purchased our house before we got married, but we really didn't need to be doing the wedding and house thing at the exact same times. I know my stress levels. It didn't work at Marlborough. It was great experience as I taught all five secondary grades, but it's not a great loss to not go back there. We all know that. But I really enjoyed my last school. A lot. I had to be a bit tougher than normal as I was fitting my 10-month curriculum into 8 months, but I thought it went okay. They have their reasons for not hiring me this year (shortage of positions), but it's now my temperament to be skeptical of their hiring a Biology teacher as that is one of the few subjects I can't teach. And, well, that's what the Catholic school did to not hire me was to put in one subject I couldn't teach into every position they hired. (English position with one Religion class, Math with one Computers class, and so on.) I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid as I don't think I ticked anyone off. I really behaved myself there. I did have really bad morning sickness 24 hours a day there for a month with extreme exhaustion thrown in for good measure, but that shouldn't have knocked me out permanently, right?

Anyways. There is good news on the work front. The Coquitlam School District interviewed me on Wednesday for the first time since I got out of university and essentially told me that I was hired and would be at the TOC orientation meeting next Friday. The down side is that we need a steadier income than TOCing gives at the beginning of the school year. (Mortgage, two kids in daycare, Tyler starting schooling with his apprenticeship...) But, I do happen to know a few people in the Coquitlam District that would speak up for me to get positions if not call me in to cover their classes. And, the travel time is great compared to other places I've worked. Plus, I'd probably get to work with some of those teachers I consider friends, and that would be very cool.

Who knows. Everything always works out in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home