Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas season update

Two weeks ago, Quentin got sick. Fever, etc., had to come home from school for a couple of days. A week ago, Jade got sick with a fever, etc. at the same time I started feeling yucky. She was better by the weekend, I got worse. Still not better. Christmas morning, Quentin wakes up nice and early...to empty his tummy. *sigh* Guess it's that time of year.



There has been a TON of snow outside. We were pretty much snowed in by Christmas Eve. (Our streets are at the bottom of the city's priority list, so we don't get plowed out too often.) I have gotten lots of exercise shovelling the driveway, and occasionally our neighbour's driveway, and parts of the street. The children enjoy playing in the snow. Jade still less than Quentin because she's just too little still to be able to move too well through that deep powder. And, the playing had to wait until the power came back on so we knew we'd be able to warm up after. (It went out for four hours on Christmas Eve.)



Tyler made a trek through the snow to pick up those important things for a Christmas dinner. I baked a pie. Quentin and I baked cookies for Santa and left some out with some carrots for the reindeer. Quentin didn't eat much of anything for Christmas dinner, maybe two bites. Jade's favourite item was the mashed potatoes, and she was really disappointed that we didn't have any brussel sprouts. She LOVES her brussel sprouts.



Both children are enjoying their presents. Jade thinks the bunkbeds she got for her dolls is portable, and pushes it around the house. Today she tried to push it down stairs which wasn't the wisest thing to attempt. I made a bright pink stove for her to cook for her dolls on too, and she's quite happy to do that. Quentin is playing his Wii games and his Wall-E laptop quite a bit. I think that we have a bit of a computer geek for a son. They both LOVE their new pajamas too.



Tyler's getting a little worn out taking care of the three of us. I'm worried that he's going to get ill before we have enough energy to return the favour.



Tyler has moved out of maintenance at work and is now back on the floor. This time he's not the floor manager, but is in charge of a crew for testing. It will be a couple years yet before there's room at BCIT for him to continue his schooling - fall of 2010 is what we've been told.



Speaking of 2010, we scooped up some tickets for the short track speed skating for the Olympics. I'm glad we got something! I think when the time comes, the kids (well, and us!) are going to be very excited to be a part of it.



Job prospects aren't looking that great for second semester this year. There's a definite shortage of teaching jobs right now in the lower mainland. The good news (?) is that I have been kept very busy all fall with on-call jobs. I don't see why that won't continue through to the end of the year if it needs to. I have discovered that working every day on-call is a lot more exhausting than working a full-time job and look forward to the day when I'm back in one school all the time. Whenever that may be.



Both children are signed up for soccer in January. It will continue until April. Quentin finished two sets of ice skating lessons with his daycare and really enjoyed them. Gymnastics is next. I just have to see if he's signed up for gymnastics on the weekend too or not. Jade's still signed up for music class, and we're trying to see where we can fit some dancing lessons for her into our very busy lives.



We hope that you've had a very merry Christmas, and that your new year is full of much love and happiness.



Take care.

2 Comments:

At 12/29/2008 9:58 PM, Blogger the author said...

sorry to hear that you guys have been so sick. We made it through christmas without being sick, but the second it was over Michael started getting sick... I guess I shouldn't say all of us not being sick - I've been sick for a week - but I'm feeling better today - hopefully it will end soon - boxing day was the worst of it - ended up in the hospital for a little while - but survived - that's why I have been blogging - just not really feeling up to it lately.

Anyway - hope things look up for everyone's health - wish we were closer as we'd love to join you for games... we should be down in the spring - hopefully we can meet up for lunch then.

(word of the day - disest.... is that like a disease and best rolled together...."I had the disest cold.")

 
At 12/30/2008 11:08 AM, Blogger Stewart said...

JEN!!! Thank you so much for tracking me down for the congratulations. I just finished blogging a little bit about the experience and posted a few pictures. I hope your Christmas was wonderful!

Stewart

 

Post a Comment

<< Home