Thursday, June 15, 2006

Surreal

My first TOC call for Coquitlam was to a school I had never heard of before. Only two years old on top of a hill in Port Moody. The office staff and students were nice. The Business Ed teacher said hi to me in the hallway (I knew that's what she taught because that's what she taught at Fox all those years ago.) That was as welcoming as it got. The teacher even came back early and didn't say much to me.

My second call came bright and early yesterday morning. To Terry Fox. I had checked out the staff there as I was looking at the schools I was applying for jobs at, and noticed two teachers were former classmates of mine. I later had this corrected to three. Lots of teachers that were still there from my years as a student, so it was going to be a little odd. Especially when I was trying to figure out why this Science teacher was telling me to leave the students' work in Room 103 on her desk. Why would she have a desk in an English classroom? Then I remembered the move the school made. Still the main ladies in the office from ohsomany years ago. Go into the Science Dept. office, and everyone is incredibly nice and welcoming. The students were nice. The teachers were nice. I was home again. Not enough to make me want to stay away from my daughter longer than I had to, but I appreciated the opportunity. And hey, my grade 8/9 Science teacher was there. And another teacher had just been given a lovebird named Fry from a student. Fairly new school, and chalkboards in the classroom instead of whiteboards and incomplete trolleys for AV - definitely Fox.

Received an e-mail that my old band teacher is retiring. The party is next Friday at the Wild Duck Inn. Nice and classy - lol! Not sure if I'm wanting to attend, partly because of the venue, but it might be interesting to go for a little while.

Take care all.

3 Comments:

At 6/15/2006 6:02 PM, Blogger Stewart said...

It's awesome to hear that TOC can be rewarding :) Next time you'll need to clarify that, "none of the students compared to stewart reimer". just kidding jen. have a great day.

 
At 6/16/2006 1:11 AM, Blogger The Jaded Bee said...

None of the students compared to Stewart Reimer. None of them had baked me a cake. Or brought me ice cream. Or was just as generally as nice a guy. :D

 
At 6/16/2006 12:39 PM, Blogger The Jaded Bee said...

Sorry, or to Ben Rogers who has entertained me with his poetry and musicianship for years. Or Benjamin (different student) who taught me a lot about students and teaching, and baked me croissants. Or...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home